What is personal information?
As defined in the Privacy Act, personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
(a) whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
(b) whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
Sensitive information is any personal information about your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of political, professional or trade associations or trade unions, sexual preferences or practices, biometric templates or information used for automated biometric verification or identification, criminal record or health.
OPENetworks does not generally collect, use or disclose sensitive information about an individual, but if OPENetworks does, it will be done so in accordance with law for example, where OPENetworks has received your consent to do so or the collection or disclosure is required by law.
What is personal information?
OPENetworks may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information about you for the following purposes:
- connection of our network to your premises;
- ongoing management and support for the connection of our network to your premises;
- specific inquiries or issues that you have or may raised with OPENetworks;
- to provide services to your retail telecommunications services provider, so that they may provide those services to you;
- where you are a representative or employee of an organisation that has dealings with OPENetworks (e.g. a service provider of OPENetworks), in relation to those dealings with that organisation;
- to analyse statistics and trends on the use of all OPENetworks services including the OPENetworks website; and
- other purposes which OPENetworks identifies to you at the time OPENetworks collects the information (or as soon as practicable after collection).
How OPENetworks collects and holds your personal information
OPENetworks may collect your personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you, when you provide it to OPENetworks or its agents or contractors, including through OPENetworks website or through website technologies such as internet tags or web beacons and navigational data collection;
- directly from you (in the form of your data, which may contain personal information, over OPENetworks network, for the purposes of resolving faults or issues with services that are
- provided to you or your premises by retail telecommunications service providers that are connected to our networks); and
- from third parties, such as your telecommunications services provider or other service providers that are connected to the networks of OPENetworks; and
- from publicly available sources.
OPENetworks may also collect personal information (including sensitive information) from or about you when legally required or authorised to do so.
How OPENetworks uses your personal information
The personal information you provide to OPENetworks may be used for a number of purposes connected with OPENetworks business operations, depending on the circumstances in which it was collected, including:
- for any of the purposes set out in relation to the collection of personal information mentioned above;
- to verify your identity;
- to improve the quality and scope of the services or infrastructure that OPENetworks provides or operates in order to enable services that you or your service provider may require;
- for network fault investigation and resolution purposes;
- as required or authorised by law (including the Telecommunications Act 1997 (Cth) and the Telecommunications (interception and Access) Act 1979 (Cth);
- as required by or in accordance with any industry code or industry standard registered under the Telecommunications Act 1997 (Cth);
- to protect OPENetworks lawful interests; and
- any other purpose that you would reasonably expect.
Sharing your personal information
OPENetworks may disclose your personal information in certain circumstances, such as where OPENetworks is required or authorised by law, where you have consented to OPENetworks doing so, or for any of the purposes or related purposes set out above.
The persons to whom OPENetworks typically discloses your personal information to include:
- specified persons in accordance with a request made by you;
- other telecommunications and related service providers who provide services to you that use OPENetworks services or infrastructure, including where reasonably required for billing and service purposes;
- an officer responsible for the Integrated Public Number Database;
- your authorised representatives or legal advisors;
- OPENetworks professional advisors including lawyers, accountants, tax advisors and auditors;
- to third parties as required by or in accordance with any industry code or industry standard registered under the Telecommunications Act 1997 (Cth);
- governmental agencies, including law enforcement agencies, and regulators, as required or authorised by law; and
- any other person or for any other purposes that would be reasonably expected.
When making such disclosures OPENetworks will take reasonable steps to ensure that the recipient is bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations.
Access and correction
You may access personal information about you and seek to correct or update that information by contacting us via the contact details below. Please identify, as clearly as possible, the type/s of information you’d like to access, correct or update as this will help us deal with your request within a reasonable time.
Should you wish to make a complaint about the way OPENetworks handles your personal information, you may do so by contacting the Privacy Officer through one of the means set out under How to Contact OPENetworks.
If you feel that OPENetworks is not handling your complaint satisfactorily, you can take the complaint to the Privacy Commissioner. There is information about how to do this on the ‘Making a privacy complaint’ page on the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner – See https://www.oaic.gov.au/individuals/how-do-i-make-... .
OPENetworks will take reasonable precautions to safeguard your information from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. You should keep in mind that no internet, transmission or technology is ever completely secure or error-free. In particular, e-mails sent to or from this website may not be secure.
How to Contact OPENetworks