What is personal information?
As defined in the Privacy Act, personal information is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
(a) whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
(b) whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
Sensitive information is any personal information regarding your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, membership of political, professional, or trade associations or trade unions, sexual preferences or practices, biometric templates or information used for automated biometric verification or identification, criminal record, or health.
OPENetworks does not generally collect, use, or disclose sensitive information about an individual.
In the event that OPENetworks does, it will be in accordance with the law. For example, where OPENetworks has received your consent to do so, or where the collection or disclosure is required by law.
Why obtain personal information?
OPENetworks may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information about you for the following purposes:
- to connect our network to your premises
- the ongoing management and support of the connection of our network to your premises
- specific inquiries or issues that you have, or may have raised, with OPENetworks
- to provide services to your retail telecommunications services provider, so that they may provide those services to you
- where you are a representative or employee of an organisation that has dealings with OPENetworks (e.g. a service provider of OPENetworks), in relation to those dealings with that organisation
- to analyse statistics and trends on the use of all OPENetworks services, including the OPENetworks website
- for other purposes OPENetworks will identify to you at the time that information is collected (or as soon as practicable after collection)
Collecting and holding your personal information
OPENetworks may collect your personal information in a number of ways, including:
- directly from you, when you provide it to OPENetworks or its agents or contractors, including through the OPENetworks website or through website technologies, such as internet tags or web beacons and navigational data collection
- directly from you (in the form of your data, which may contain personal information, over OPENetworks network, for the purpose of resolving faults or issues with services provided to you or your premises by retail telecommunications service providers that are connected to our networks)
- from third parties, such as your telecommunications services provider or other service providers that are connected to the networks of OPENetworks
- from publicly available sources
OPENetworks may also collect personal information (including sensitive information) from or about you when legally required or authorised to do so.
Using your personal information
Personal information you provide to OPENetworks may be used for a number of purposes associated with OPENetworks’ business operations, depending upon the circumstances in which that information was collected, including:
- for any of the purposes set out in relation to the collection of personal information mentioned above
- to verify your identity
- to improve the quality and scope of the services or infrastructure that OPENetworks provides or operates, in order to enable services that you or your service provider may require
- for investigating and resolving networks faults
- as required or authorised by law (including the Telecommunications Act 1997 (Cth) and the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979 (Cth)
- as required by, or in accordance with, any industry code or industry standard registered under the Telecommunications Act 1997 (Cth)
- to protect OPENetworks’ lawful interests
- any other purpose that you would reasonably expect
Sharing your personal information
OPENetworks may disclose your personal information under certain circumstances, such as where OPENetworks is required or authorised by law, where you have consented to OPENetworks doing so, or for any of the purposes or related purposes set out above.
The persons to whom OPENetworks typically discloses your personal information include:
- specified persons in accordance with a request made by you
- other telecommunications and related service providers who provide services to you that use OPENetworks services or infrastructure, including where reasonably required for billing and service purposes
- officers responsible for the Integrated Public Number Database
- your authorised representatives or legal advisors
- OPENetworks’ professional advisors, including lawyers, accountants, tax advisors, and auditors
- third parties as required by, or in accordance with, any industry code or industry standard registered under the Telecommunications Act 1997 (Cth)
- governmental agencies, including law enforcement agencies, and regulators, as required or authorised by law
- any other person or for any other purposes that would be reasonably expected
When making such disclosures OPENetworks will take reasonable steps to ensure that the recipient is bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations.
Access and correction
You may access personal information about you, and seek to correct or update that information by contacting us via the details at the top of this page. Please identify, as clearly as possible, the type/s of information you’d like to access, correct, or update as this will help us deal with your request in a timely manner.
Should you wish to make a complaint about the way OPENetworks handles your personal information, you may do so by contacting the Privacy Officer through one of the means set out under How to Contact OPENetworks.
Should you feel that OPENetworks is not handling your complaint satisfactorily, you may wish to contact the Privacy Commissioner. Information concerning how to do this on the ‘making a privacy complaint’ page on the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner: https://www.oaic.gov.au/individuals/how-do-i-make-a-privacy-complaint
OPENetworks will take every reasonable precaution to safeguard your information from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure. Keep in mind that no internet connection, transmission, or technology is ever completely secure or error-free. In particular, e-mails sent to or from this website may not be secure.
How to contact OPENetworks
OPENetworks can also be contacted by phone on 1300 784 978 during normal business hours.